Elementary level (1-2)
The aim of the elementary-level course is to acquire the basic skills in both written and spoken Finnish used in everyday life.
- Vocabulary: numbers, time, places, describing people and things
- Speaking: greetings, good-byes, requesting items and services at shops, restaurants, doctor appointments etc.
- Structures: verb types and tenses, noun types and cases (basic, partitive, genitive and local cases) and sentence types (subject-verb-object, possessive, necessity, predicative)
Intermediate level (3-4)
The aim of the intermediate-level course is to improve the skills learned at the elementary level. The skills are practised through speaking and writing. The knowledge of Finnish culture deepens.
- Vocabulary: basic concepts of society, culture, politics, work related topics
- Speaking and writing: personal interests, familiar topics, current news and events
- Structures: passive, conditional, infinitive and participle verb forms, noun cases (essive, translative, abessive) and comparative & superlative adjectives and adverbs
Advanced level (5-6)
At the advanced level, the participants already have a good knowledge of the Finnish grammar and a wide vocabulary. The learning material is adjusted to their specific needs. In this phase, the participants can decide whether to concentrate on speaking, writing or comprehension.
- Vocabulary: culture, politics, current events, complex issues at work
- Structures: use of the infinitive and participle in different structures
- Speaking and writing: context-related tasks
Communication: presentations, writing documents for work or various formal purposes, etc.